Thursday, May 12, 2011

How others see us

I think it's easy to forget how people outside our own professions and cliques may see us. Earlier this week I had to do some filming for some video promos for my University. I and a student basically just had to talk about and demo our game AI research. What struck me was how the film crew seemed really fascinated and interested in what we were researching. In the downtime between takes, while shots were being set up, they asked really good questions and seemed rather awestruck by what we were doing.
   As an academic I'm so used to viewing what I do through the lens of my peers who are hard to impress and correctly skeptical. Viewing our work through the lens of lay people has let me see again how exciting what we do is.

No comments:

Post a Comment